Our braces are very strong. They are designed to stay on your teeth the entire time of your orthodontic treatment. By following some simple guidelines, you can minimize breakage and maximize treatment. We ask that you avoid eating sticky or hard foods during your orthodontic treatment. Eating these foods can cause damage to the archwires and brackets and loosen the bands.
- Popcorn, nuts (or anything with nuts in it)
- Hard chips (Doritos & Fritos)
- Hard shell tacos
- Chewing on ice
- Peanut brittle
- Hard or sticky candy (taffy, caramels, suckers, Jolly Ranchers & Gummy Bears)
- Pizza crusts, hard pretzels & bagels
- Beef jerky & Slim Jims
- Bubble gum (You may chew sugarless gum that is designed not to stick to dental work.)
Corn on the cob, meat on the bone, corn dogs, apples, carrots, etc. should be cut into bite-size pieces before eating!
Biting on pens and pencils, chewing on straws or biting fingernails can cause damage as well. As a patient, you are responsible for carefully examining each part of your appliance and braces every day to make sure that everything is properly attached to the teeth. If you notice something is loose, please call our office as soon as possible, even if you have an appointment scheduled in the near future.